Monday, October 20, 2014

Timed prompt

It was Christmas Eve. Fog stuck to the tarmac at Lindbergh Field. I looked down from the window of the airport, saying a silent goodbye from my seat in the terminal. Goodbye's are never easy but this one, was the hardest goodbye, I've ever had to say. I held our six year old daughter girl closely in my arms as she cried for her daddy. She didn't really understand what was going on but watching her dad, her favorite person in the world, get on a plane and fly away, was too much for her to handle. Her daddy wouldn't be home anytime soon, Not for Christmas, not for her seventh birthday, not for our anniversary or family parties or holidays. No, he would be spending those days, across the world, fighting to keep us safe. We sat there for a while, Lily and I, wishing her daddy would be home to see all the presents that Santa left under the tree for her.

Coming home from the party, a year after Charles was deployed, Lily fell asleep. It wasn't until two am that we arrived at our now empty home. It was decorated with cheerful decorations, Red and green streamers lined the stairs and our three stockings hung above the fire. After I put Lily to bed and placed all the presents under the tree, I finally went to be. It'd been a long, long day.

"Mommy, Mommy wake up!! Wake up, wake up, wake up!! It's Christmas!! HE CAME SANTA CAME. COME ON LETS GO! THERE'S LIKE A BAZILLION PRESENTS DOWN THERE!!" I put on my best smile and took Lily down stairs to watch her open her gifts. Dolls lay on the floor and there were stuffed animals and toys everywhere, but there was one more unopened present.
"Oh honey, looks like there's one more!!" She brought the present over to me.
"This ones for you Mommy."
I took the small box, wrapped in red paper with a little green bow and slowly opened it. Inside was a beautiful diamond necklace and a note.
I'm sorry I couldn't be there to see you and Lily open your gifts. I have one more surprise for you, look out side.
I ran over to the window. Standing out side, in the middle of a blizzard, was Charles, dressed in a Santa suit. Lily and I ran outside and held on to him as hard as we possibly could. This is what a family was supposed to do on Christmas. We could be a real family. 
"They let me home early this year. I'm done. I don't ever need to go back. I'm home"
It was all over.

PS: My story is not at all violent or sad. It has a nice happy ending, unlike what the author was describing. The protagonist in my story, starts sad but good things happen and in the end, good things happen to her, not terrible like the author said. 

No comments:

Post a Comment